Normally, trash collection in South Hadley runs very smoothly. However, on occasion there are problems. Below is a list of curbside regulations for South Hadley residents, which, if followed correctly, should reduce curbside problems to a minimum:
- Trash and recyclables must be out by 7 a.m. Occasionally the time for pickup changes on a route – be prepared. Call backs are not permitted if materials are not curbside by 7 a.m. Please be aware that the hauler collects on one side of the street at a time. Please do not call for missed pickup until the day after your collection day.
- Trash must be placed in securely tied Town Approved Green bags, whether or not it is then placed inside barrels. Trash left loose in barrels is the major cause of litter.
- Each barrel or bag must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Refuse must be placed at the curb on trash day.
- Bulky and construction waste items are not picked up at the curb, they must be brought to the Recycling Center on 10 Industrial Drive.
- Recyclables must be sorted into 2 streams; paper / cardboard and mixed containers.
- Cardboard must be flattened and less than 2 feet in any dimension (this is the size of the truck's hopper).
- The Town has available green recycling bins, which are custom designed for the purpose, being made of durable recycled plastic which stands up to weather, as well as having holes in the bottom to allow water to pass through. When water or snow builds up in regular barrels, it can make it extremely difficult for haulers to lift. Recycling bins are available at the Department of Public Works (DPW); if residents prefer to use their own trash barrels for recycling, barrels must be marked with orange stickers for mixed containers and green stickers for paper. Stickers are also available at the DPW. Barrels must not weigh over 40 pounds.
- Plastic bags are not allowed as a container for recyclables. They jam the equipment at the Materials Recycling Facility (MRF).
- There are only 6 Holidays which affect the curbside collection schedule:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- On those weeks all routes are pushed back 1 day following the holiday with Friday's pickup occurring on a Saturday.
- Recycling has been mandatory in South Hadley since 1989.
If all of the curbside regulations have been followed correctly and the trash or recycling collection was missed, please fill out the form for reporting a missed collection or call Veronique Blanchard at the DPW at 413-538-5033.